Friday, February 3, 2012

Day 8: Orthodontist


Day 8: Orthodontist
Pain- 6/10

Today started out very hectic. My brother stayed home from school. He was very sick. So my dad took him to our Pediatrician. He was there for over 3 hours.  I was afraid I was going to miss my first post op appointment with my orthodontist. I got there. I called one of my best friend’s dad. It was a long morning but I finally got a ride to my orthodontist.
Everyone in my orthodontist office said I look great. I agree with them to an extent. I am glad that my swelling is going down. But I am not happy or comfortable with my face yet. The right side of my face is uneven and much more swollen than my left. It bothers me.
Not a very good pic. But my pain levels
are very high today. Swelling is a little worse
as you can see. But it can only get better! 
My orthodontist looked in my mouth and said I look very sore. He told me that my surgeon said he can take off my surgical hooks. But that might make me hurt more. I told him to take the hooks out, so one of his assistants proceeded to take them off. It was very painful because she kept moving my lip and it was hurting my stitches. Once she got all the hooks and wires off I got to brush my teeth. It felt FANTASTIC! I spent 20 minutes brushing my teeth. Once I finished she put on new wires and these things called T hooks in my mouth. Then my orthodontist Showed my how to wear my elastics. But told me I don’t have to wear them until I see my surgeon. So I get a few more days of freedom. Then he asked of I had any questions. I asked him about the tightness in my jaw. And asked if there is anything I can do. I told me to do whatever my surgeon says… I guess I will be calling my surgeon later..
Once I got home I tried to eat something. But I couldn’t decide what I wanted. I didn’t want soup or a smoothie.  I ate some yogurt and it was disgusting. So I gave it to my sister and took a nap. I woke up from my nap in a lot of pain.  And my surgeon’s office was closed. I didn’t know what to do. Then I remembered I had my surgeon’s cell phone number for emergencies. Was this an emergency? No. But I was in pain. I texted him and he texted back. His response was,” Motrin, gentle movement, heat with washcloth. That washcloth felt so good! But when I took it off the pain was back. I can’t wait until I see my surgeon on Tuesday.

On an educational note: To anyone is plans on having any type of jaw surgery, I leave you with this tip. You are going to be hungry. And you might go a little crazy. Do NOT try to eat a spoon full of peanut butter. It will not end well. I learned this the hard way...

Have a nice night! :)

3 comments:

  1. The pain sucks I know, but you will get out it soon I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the peanut butter is probably why ur jaw hurts lol

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marissa, My jaw hurt before the peanut butter incident. lol.

    ReplyDelete