Friday, March 23, 2012


Day 58: Trombone Frustration


Jaw- 3/10
While you are out of playing pick
up a new instrument! Ukulele
is always fun for me. 
Headache- 5/10

I have been trying to play my trombone the past few days. I am 8 weeks post op. I most definitely can play. But I am very frustrated. Months before surgery I could pick up any piece of music and play through it. I would play my trombone if I was having a bad day, and it would make me feel better. Now I feel like I have nothing. My teacher told me I was going to get upset. Well he was right. I know what I have to do. It’s just going to take time.

Tips for musicians:


1.                             Long Tones!- They are boring but they will help you. Work on playing with less pressure. This is the perfect time to perfect your embrasure.
2.                             Don’t push it- You need to listen to your body. I am only playing 5 minute intervals. Yes, it absolutely sucks. But it will help in the end.
3.                             Don’t give up- I have considered giving up. Switching my major and putting away my horn for good. Don’t do that. It is frustrating but you can do it!

My jaw pain went up because I played my trombone on and off for a bit tonight. I also tried to chew a bagel. I haven’t gotten that amazing feeling everyone is talking about when I bite into something. I can’t wait until I can experience this. One thing I have noticed, I’m not making as much of a mess when I bite into things. As for my headache, it obviously is still there. I am not sure why. I will talk to my orthodontist in a week when I see him

No comments:

Post a Comment